Is This Racism?
|Real Live Advertisement for McDonald’s|
It’s very hard to prove racism these days, in hiring. But at 50% unemployment in some communities of Blacks, especially men, the numbers should speak for themselves. I would like to present to you, now and again, evidence of racism, without having to prove that someone came out and said “we don’t hire “n” here”.
Is McDonald’s Racist
So the facts are these:
- A young Black man walks into a McDonald’s that posted a “job fair” for that day. They had announced previously and had signs posted.
- When he arrived he was promptly informed that there was only one position available and his chances were very slim.
- when his pen gave out while filling out the application he asked to borrow the store recruiter’s pen, of which she had two sitting in her pocket. He was informed that she needed her pens. When he asked which one, she informed him both.
- a homeless white woman was filling out an application as well, and he asked to use the pen after she finished. The homeless woman resisted saying it belonged to the recruiter. He lied and said he was told to use it.
- when he presented the application to the corporate recruiter, she asked what experience he had. Luckily he informed her that he had held jobs at Coldstone’s, Cookie Cafe.
- she asked for a resume. When he replied that he did not have one, she went off into a speech about always having a resume, no matter where he is applying. The position he was applying for was for entry level associate [ i.e. burger flipper ]
- when he then returned the pen to the store recruiter he asked for a business card with the store’s number on it, to get updates on his resume. A third recruiter came from behind the counter to inform him that he did not need the store’s phone number and that he would be called if he qualified for the job.
Now I ask you. Is this racism? I reminds me of when Black folks were given the legal right to vote and the south erected all manner of Jim Crow laws to prohibit voting. Some places required: reading comprehension; reciting the constitution by heart; penmanship tests, etc… So this young Black man goes into the beginnings of beginnings of the job market and is handedly rejected at every turn. He was berated and insulted for even daring to step into McDonald’s. He was constantly challenged to keep him from even submitting the application. And, even when it was obvious that he qualified for the job, they ask for a resume.
Let’s call a spade a spade. This particular scenario was nothing more than sheer racism. Resume for entry level McDonald’s position? They hire 16 year olds for the position. Forget all that liberal: you should be prepared for anything. IT’S MCDONALD’S!!!
If someone came before me with these facts and I was a judge, I would be quite content to rule against McDonald’s. It is unconscionable.
Let’s stop for a second and consider. What if he had a resume? What if everyone at the job fair had a resume? My question is, why are they at McDonald’s applying for a starter job, with a resume? You don’t show up to a pool party in a tailed tuxedo.
I know some people are going to be hard-headed and say McDonald’s was in the right. To them, I just say you’re probably racist yourself. If you cannot see that entire scenario as racist, then you’re either 9 years old and incapable of understanding such concepts, or you have no mental capacity or are just not a human.